Monday, May 6, 2019

05-06-2019 SELF PUBLISHED AUTHOR

Alien in the Delta


I am a self-published author. My first book is titled Alien in the Delta.
It is a memoir about a poor boy growing up in the rural, segregated south in the ’50s.  He spent several years in the United State Air Force stationed in Germany, learned to speak the language and met his wife while in Germany. He turned his life into a success and became a manager in both computer and telecommunication companies.

This book was written based on stories that I had told my daughter while growing up. Before writing the book, I spent a year finding out about my ancestors. This was an excellent time to write about what had happened in my life and share information that I learned about my family.

It took about six years to record all of the information to tape and another six months to convert it to text. Then the manuscript was ready to be published.

On my very first attempt to find a publisher, I found Amazon’s Create Space. I found out later how fortunate I had been to find Amazon.

Create Space guided me through the entire process of getting my book published. The cost of publishing was $700.00, and most of that spent on editing.

My objective in sharing this experience is to encourage others to write and publish a book of their own.