Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Alien in the Delta


Merry Christmas !

Basic training was the first time most of us had been away from home. We talked a lot about our families and girlfriends because we were all homesick. We knew the names of each other’s girlfriends and wives. They became like members of our own family.

At the end of the day after mail call, we would share the good and bad news from the letters we had received.   Some of the fellows began to receive “Dear John” letters after a few weeks. When that happened, we would gather around the guy to show support and talk about his ex-girlfriend as if she was the lowest person who lived on Earth.

          I had bragged about my girlfriend being such a wonderful person and that we were planning to get married sometime in the future. It was around the Christmas holidays when I received a letter from my girlfriend. She wrote that she was no longer in love with me and that she was dating someone else. I was so hurt when I received my “Dear John” letter. But I had to accept that she had moved on with her life and that I should do the same. Merry Christmas, Baby!