Saturday, December 28, 2013

Alien in the Delta [e-Book $4.99]

Click To Look Inside
Baby in Danger!
                                                   
My next job was a temporary-duty (TDY) assignment to try to make some extra money. On that job, you were given money for your expenses, and it was always more money than you would use. At the end of the trip, you were expected to have a few extra bucks. The job was transporting top-secret materials to various military locations in Germany. On TDY, you would be away from the base at least three and sometimes four days.

I looked forward to the morning when I would begin my long trip. The vehicle was loaded overnight with classified materials. My destination was near Czechoslovakia, a long way away from Ramstein Air Force Base. 

          That first day I drove about halfway there. I stopped at a US Army post and slept overnight. The next morning I got up at 6:00 a.m., had breakfast, jumped into my vehicle, and was on my way. I had anticipated arriving at my next destination ahead of schedule. It was about 10:00 a.m., and I was making good time. The roads in Germany were very curvy and narrow, and I was probably going a bit too fast. I went down a hill, and it curved around a bend and up toward another hill, and when I got to the top of that hill, I lost control of the vehicle and was heading toward a tree. When I attempted to turn the steering wheel, the load shifted and made my vehicle lift away from the pavement. I could not hold on to the steering wheel any longer. It seemed to have a mind of its own, so I just let it go and put my hands on the seat to brace myself. 


             A short distance in front of me, walking in the street, was a German woman pushing a baby stroller with a baby inside. Headed in the direction of the woman and baby, I held the steering wheel again trying to prevent an accident from taking place. I tried to change the direction of the vehicle, but it was out of control.  I could feel the vehicle slowly turning over after sideswiping a tree.

             Hanging upside down in the vehicle with my seat-belt attached, I begin to smell gasoline and heard dripping from the ruptured gas tank on the side of the vehicle. I panicked and couldn’t get unattached because of my weight on the seat-belt. Finally getting my seatbelt off and falling to the inside roof of the vehicle’s cabin, I was a bit disoriented because everything was upside down. Wanting to get out of the vehicle quickly, I made an attempt to kick the window out, almost breaking my leg. I must have seen too many movies thinking that would work. So then I rolled the window down, crawled out of the vehicle, stood up, and ran a short distance away from the upside-down vehicle. I noticed that the woman with the baby wasn’t hurt, and a crowd of people had gathered. Walking toward the crowd,  excited that I gotten out of the vehicle alive, I pulled out a packet of cigarettes, took a cigarette from the pack, and was about to light it when the crowd begin yelling.

             “NOOOOO!”
               They had noticed that I was covered in gasoline, and with the flick of my lighter I was about to blow all of us away. So they all were yelling.
             “NEIN, NEIN, NEIN!”

              Stopping me just in time, I yelled back to the crowd, “Danke schon” (“Thank you”). Soon after that, the police showed up, but they did not arrest me. They took away my driver’s license. 

                 An investigation would take place to determine what happened and if I should be held responsible for the accident. I was grounded and assigned to the motor pool, washing vehicles, while the hearing was being conducted.

             A month later the investigation was completed with a decision about what should happen to me. In Germany if you damage a tree, you must pay for the damage. The amount varies, depending on the age of the tree and the amount of damage it suffered. If the accident was your fault, the military made you pay for the tree and for the cost of repairing the vehicle. Money was taken from your pay every month until the items were paid off.

           Upon completion of the investigation, I was found not guilty of any wrongdoing. Luckily for me, the German woman pushing the baby stroller told them that I drove up over the hill, saw them in the road, and in order to avoid hurting her and the baby, I flipped the truck over. I got a clean bill of health because of the German woman’s testimony. It turned out that I was a hero for not hitting the woman and the baby.    


             She told them what she thought had happened. But honestly, I had no control over that vehicle; it had basically taken its own route and flipped over. After that, it was decided I would not be sent on any more temporary-duty trips. 

Awesome Book! - [Alien in the Delta] .Kindle Edition $4.99 Paperback $14.99 -